The Grocery Store Dyer
1:00 to 5:00 PM
Saturday, October 20, 2018
Saturday, December 8, 2018
Saturday, January 19, 2019
Sunday, March 3, 2019
Sunday, April 7, 2019
This is an introduction to the concepts of natural dyeing. This course is meant to encourage the novice dyer and provide a base of knowledge to allow for further experimentation and play at home! We will use only supplies available at your local grocery store and tools that any reasonably equipped kitchen will have.
• Learn the basic terms and concepts essential to understanding natural dye : scour, mordant, binder, dyestuff, extract, etc
• Complete two separate projects with two different types of dyes : black tea (an adjective dye) and avocado (a direct dye).
• Introduction to natural dye block printing and hand painting
• Explore pattern making with shibori fold-and-tie dyeing
• Leave the class with two finished kerchiefs of different patterns and colors