Block Printing with Natural Dyes
10:00 AM to 2:30 PM
Sunday, November 17, 2019
Sunday, December 15, 2109
Saturday, March 21, 2020
In this workshop we’ll explore the fundamental concept of natural dyeing : mordants. What are they? How do they work? Do we need them? We’ll be formulating, mixing and thickening mordant pastes and dyeing with them to create fabrics that enter into just a single infusion but emerge with many different colors dyed onto them. This is one of my favorite processes because so may things are possible from just a few ingredients. Please join me if you’re interested in learning about the basics of graphic design using natural dyes.
• Limit 8 Attendees
• Learn to extract a range of colors from a single dye plant
• Carve your own (simple) blocks from lightweight, strong wood (provided)
• Learn the basics of printed mordant dyes
• Learn about and formulate a variety of mordants
• Print with blocks of your own creation or any in-house blocks
• Print on 2 provided 22" x 22" cotton bandanas.
• Pack a lunch or snacks! Water but no food provided.
• Bring your own item/s to print on, time allowing. Fabrics that lay flat are best, e.g. pillow cases, tote bags, t-shirts, skirts, etc
• Refunds will not be given for cancellations within one week of the workshop unless your reserved spot is filled.