Indigo & Shibori Dye Workshop
1:00 - 4:30 PM
Saturday, November 9, 2019
Saturday, December 7, 2020
Saturday, January 18, 2020
Saturday, February 15, 2020
Saturday, March 14, 2020
In this workshop I’ll shed light on the often shadowy, enigmatic dye, indigo. I’ll discuss (and show and tell as much as possible if plants are in season) methods for extracting the color from the leaves of different varieties of indigo. When the plants are right, I’m happy to share clippings so that you can try growing your own. Once the pigment is out of the plant, the dye work begins. I’ll explain just a few ways how to fold and prepare our fabrics which actually allow us to dye a vast range of patterns. We’ll also discuss washing, care and coatings for UV protection for your textiles
• Limit 12 Attendees
• Learn the fundamentals of this historic pattern making process.
• Concentration on folded, tied and clamped resist
• Dye natural fiber goods in a plant derived indigo vat
• Learn to create and maintain an indigo vat
• All dyestuff provided
• 2 Bandana or small scarf-sized pieces of fabric will be provided.
• Instruction will be given on a creating a variety of patterns.
• Feel free to bring your own goods to dye, but please limit to a single item, and please avoid bulky pieces (towels, linens, bedding etc.), as vat space and time are limited. Cellulose fibers (cotton, linen, rayon, ramie) accept the color the best.
• Address and directions to workshop available here.
• To reserve multiple spots, click the button below, select the experience level of the dyer (NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY, btw just like to have a sense of who's bringing what to the table!), then click the button again. Then proceed to checkout.
• Your place will be reserved at time of payment